AIDIA organized the preparatory meeting on 25 August, 2017 at Dining Park, Kathmandu on purposed half-day symposium on “Understanding and Promoting Nepal’s Science Diplomacy” set be hosted by AIDIA and RECAST jointly. The following major concerns and issues were raised during the meeting.
• Science diplomacy very supportive for easing the tensions and promoting the harmonious inter-state relations, Nepal should seriously work on this regards.
• Promotion of Energy, Space, and Nuclear Technology should be placed in highest priority for Nepal to be promoted under science diplomacy.
• Nepali scientists are equally capable in promoting science and technology but administrative and political structure most of the time has remained as the impediments rather that facilitators. • Politicization of research institute is regarded as one of the internal challenges on the promotion of science and technology.
• Strong synchronization is needed between political diplomacy and science diplomacy in order to strengthen the weak diplomatic lobbying of Nepal and to promote science diplomacy. • Nepal is practicing high-level of political engagement and low level of engagement in science and technology.
• There are hundreds of existing MOUs on various scientific research institution, but one of major problem is very few are implemented and executed, which must be response properly.
• There is the urgent need capacity building program on science diplomacy to be develop and provided to the scientist and science community, so that Nepal can gain the maximum mutual benefits from international scientific cooperation.
• Creating effective interlinkages between science and diplomacy is crucial for development and prosperity of Nepal.
Chairperson: Hon’ble Ganesh Shah, Former Minister for Environment, Science and Technology, Nepal
Meeting Agenda Presenter: Mr. Shyam KC, R & D Director, AIDIA
Prof. Dr. Jiba Raj Pokharel, Vice-Chancellor, NAST
Dr. Sunil Babu Shrestha, Member, NPC
Prof. Dr. Rameshwar Adhikari, Executive Director, RECAST
Prof. Dr. Promod K. Jha, Academician, NAST
Dr. Tek Bahadur Gurung, Director, Livestock& Fisheries, NARC
Mr. Manjeet Dhakal, LDC Senior Policy Analyst, CLIMATE ANALYTICS
Mr. Sunil KC, CEO, AIDIA
- Kathmandu, Nepal